Sunday, April 25, 2010

Huana Koa (translation: I'm Outta My Comfort Zone) and I think I like it

Reason #10 that this was such a great crew of girls to travel with: everyone (well, very nearly) were up for the insanity of ziplining. I read about it on Tripadvisor and at the tamale-making class we met a local woman who told us that Huana Koa was the best company. So, we paid our little reservation fee, picked up the brochure and proceeded to get STOKED! Well, maybe not entirely stoked. The freak outs set in after we read that part about having to be comfortable with jumping off a 5-story tower to whiz above the "tropical desert forest." Huh?

Anyway, thank god for my ego and it forcing me to not look like a coward, cause all things considered, the ziplining was pretty awesome. I really want to do it again - next time in a place that doesn't involve driving for hours into scary back country in the blazing heat with nothing to consume all day but water and tequila.




The crazy German military vehicle we took. True to the brochure's promise, it was capable of climbing sheer mountainsides while fully loaded... with 20 people all thinking, "We're all going to die!!!!"






The very sweet Jonathan #1 (as opposed to maniacal Jonathan #2, see below).






Setting aside all dignity to strap on these helmets and sausage casing-style butt harnesses.






Darling Olivia after the first zip.





This might've been the longest line - or maybe this was the first of the really fast ones.






This was the only part I was truly not OK with. The picture doesn't do it justice. They barely hook you into a single rope and then drop your ass straight to the ground. I'm not just happy that I didn't die, but that I didn't crap my pants from fear.






Mandibles! Evidence that at some point, some real sustenance must have been provided to someone. All we got was a tiny apple. Waa waa!





After ziplining, we all were taken down the road to the really beautiful, very old Los Osuna Tequila factory (which wasn't a factory at all, but a nice open-air oasis that reeked of delicious tequila). It really was cool to see how it was made. This picture shows the stewed agave "pineapple" that smelled and tasted a lot like your granny's sweet potato casserole - if someone had saturated it in booze and stuck it in that crazy "ground oven" below for about a month. It was gnarly, but strangely delicious.





T & O enjoying a hunk of the good stuff.









It's a testament to how pure and organic the Osuna Tequila at this place was - that we'd been exerting ourselves in the hot sun with little food, and the tequila didn't make us sick - it made us super happy.





This is "evil" Jonathan, who wasn't really evil, but more like a naughty big brother who teased us mercilessly and purposefully drove badly to make us squeal. I'm pretty sure he was laboring under the sweet burden of that Osuna Tequila. He couldn't stop laughing at himself.





And, then this happened, and none of us could stop laughing.






Finally, hitting the long drive home, what else was there to do.... more tequila please!